If you were involved in a vehicle collision you need to know what to do.
Whether it is simply a bump in the parking lot or if it is a more serious accident where people are injured, taking the right actions immediately can save lives and improve the outcome for everyone involved. Additionally it may be that by not following the right procedure, your insurance company could face difficulties to pay your claims. You should be as well aware that if you do not follow the proper procedures you might end up having problems with the law and have consequences and fines to pay. You should be able to follow the right steps so that when you file police reports and when you file for insurance compensation no unwanted omissions or obstacles appear.
The first important thing if you are involved in car accident is to try to stay calm and concentrated
Here are some tips for getting through an accident with a minimum of hassle and headaches.
- Record the name, address and phone number of the other driver. Write down the make and license number of all vehicles involved. You’ll want to get as much information as you can about the other driver’s insurance agent, policy and insurance company.
- Don’t forget to collect the names, addresses and phone numbers of passengers and witnesses. Since many cases end up with the parties blaming each other, third-party witnesses can be important. Don’t hesitate to approach anyone who may have seen the crash.
- Be careful of what you say. Don’t talk about fault; even casual remarks can be used in court.
- Notify your insurance agent immediately. The faster we get information, the faster we can act. Discuss the accident only with your agent and, of course, with the police.
- Examine the damage carefully. Take photos if possible, particularly if the accident occurred on private property, such as a parking lot.
- Without being overly suspicious, observe the other driver’s actions. If the other driver later claims to have a serious injury, what you notice could be important.
- With technology, every cell phone has a camera. Take pictures of and the photographs could easily become an important witness to what actually occurred.
- Stay calm.
Remember, these incidents are the reason you have insurance in the first place. We realize no auto accident is ever minor when you’re involved. We’re here so you can relax a little, doing everything possible to ease your stress and provide you with peace of mind.